EP09 – Getting Started With Raspberry Pi
This week we talk about what you need to know about Raspberry Pi. A new $25 micro computer, the size of a credit card, that has made a huge wave in the hacker/programmer scene. It’s aimed for educational purposes, but hackers all over the world also have their own agendas for this computer.
Download: Direct Link
Itunes: itunes link
Hack On Something For A Week
Why Is This Important?
- Cease the moment?
- How important is Raspberry Pi
What is the Raspberry Pi?
- Raspberry Pi foundation (Eben Upton)
- Aimed at education
- $25, credit card sized computer
- Smaller than Sheva Plug
- Enough power to run 1080p video (More graphics power than iPhone 4)
- Uses Broadcom SoC
- Where to order? raspberrypi.org
Setting up an environment
- Dev is in Linux: EP05 Getting started with Linux
- Video tutorial at: http://youtube.com/RaspberryPiTutorials
- Use virtalbox to setup a linux distro (Debian, Fedora, etc)
- Install dev tools (LXDE)
- Dev in RaspPi will be in Python
- Easy to learn, object oriented, interpreted language
- Official Python Tutorial (Python Software Foundation) http://docs.python.org/tutorial/
- Because it’s interpreted you can program for it anywhere
- PyGame – Game development library (SDL)
- Ideas for development:
- where do ppl think they will use RasPi?
- Raspberry Pi VM Tutorial: http://russelldavis.org/
- Python Tutorial: http://docs.python.org/tutorial/
- Video Tutorial: http://youtube.com/RaspberryPiTutorials
- Raspberry Pi World: http://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/