This week we talk about NoSQL (Not Only SQL). Though we do not deep dive into any one particular schemaless database we cover their importance and what changes they are making in the web world today.
Download: Direct Link
Itunes: itunes link
What do I need to know?
- Developed a while ago (1998), refined by high traffic sites
- facebook, yahoo, google, amazon
- Not relational
- No Joins, big performance boost
- document oriented: CouchDB, MongoDB, SimpleDB
- key value pair: Memchached, Redis
- extensive record: Google BigTable, Cassandra
What do I do?
- NodeJS + MongoDB
- php/redis, php/memchached
- Cloud hosting services
- How would I design for functional environment?
Correction: Chartbeat is the analytics tool mentioned, not “Heartbeat”.
couchdb, databases, memcached, mongodb, nosql