EP16 – Interviewing For A Web Development Position
This week we talk about our experiences going through interviews for web development. We offer tips on what will be asked, expected of you and what we suggest you ask the interviewer. By preparing you for the interview, our goal is to allow you to keep calm and show your best face during the interview.
Download: Direct Link
Itunes: itunes link
Use coupon code Dev1Podcast for 25% off. Use coupon code Dev1Reseller for $25 off.
Hack of the Week
Talking about FirePHP and it’s benefits. It can also be used with other languages.
Phone Interview / Non-Technical
- Do’s and Don’ts
- Resume Questions – beef it up
- Gaps in Job History
- Experience / Responsibilities
- Continual Learning
- side projects?
- opensource contributions
- [program at home!]
- How much are you getting paid
- How much are you looking for
- answer confidently, don’t stumble
- Don’t be scared to say you don’t know. Be self aware and stay confident.
- Concepts / Terms
- Difference: GET / POST. cookie?
- abstract / interface
- Know: clientside and serverside
- object construct
- MVC Frameworks: explain
- AJAX: without jquery
- Can you do Web2.0
- Language Specific
- What don’t you like about the language
- I think they want to know that you are passionate about it
- LEFT JOIN / RIGHT JOIN / INNER / OUTER
- Some make you write something or take a test
- Login page
- blog page / comments..
- Show that you are interested!! Things matter to you. It looks like you have options. Tables turn.
- Dresscode (creative environment)
- Stable Environment: Last time you fired someone and why?
- What development lifecycle do they follow?
- scrum, agile, waterfall?
- Ask if not in description. Read up on them anyway so you know your stuff.
- Ticketing System?
- Testing style? Do you test at all?
- meeting with the users? important for apps
- Any Sysadmins? Web Designers?
- (how much non programming is involved?)
- Version Control:
- Which one?
- Which workflow? Topic branching?
- Implementation Details
- Why do they use the language they use?
- What database do they use?
- Joel Spolsky