This week Arlo and Ryan talk about everything SSH related you should know NOW! You should go on another day of being a developer without atleast knowing about the different things you can do with just an SSH account.
Download: Direct Link
Itunes: itunes link
What is SSH?
- Secure Shell: What is a shell?
- CLI for controlling or running commands on a computer
- Mouse and Desktop actions can translate into commands
- Comparable to remote desktop for windows
- Command line driven
- It is pretty secure, atleast SSH2 is.
How can I benefit from SSH-ness?
- The more you are familiar with command line the better. But not a MUST!
- SCP – cp file from point a to point b
- Tunnelling – forward ports from comp to server.
- tunneling mysql is awesome!
- SFTP – popular amongst ftp clients
- Mounting Drives – Mount a directory on your computer that only exists on the server
- VPN – openSSH allows for a VPN over a ssh connection
- RSYNC – program used for sync directories from one machine to another
- Backups – Migrating from one hosting to another? Backings up zip files from one server to another?
How do I use it?
- Arlo: git bash
- cygwin – heard of it, give it a try.
- Mac OSx/Linux
- openssh. should come out of the box
- Server must have it installed and running
- Access with username and password
- Public keys are prefered
- locally run: ssh-keygen (press enter all the way through)
- copy contents of: ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub
- paste content on server: ~/.ssh/authorized_keys
- ssh-copy-id ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub username@hostname
- Public keys allows for automation!!! Scripts scripts scripts!!
- More Setup up for Fun: .ssh/config
- Git – once you have SSH credentials you can push and pull using git with ease.
command line, SSH